[CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q

n6tr at teleport.com n6tr at teleport.com
Wed May 5 16:40:29 EDT 1999

> I agree with rich........I believe this fetish re log accuracy is
> getting outa hand and acting as a possible deterrent to
> participation or at the very least log submission........its
> a hobby right?      bob  w7gg

I missed Rich's original comments - thanks for drawing them out Bob.

> >I think deleting three qso's for a busted call is too much.

This is probably a correct statement.  There should be some penalty
to discourage guessing.  What I mean is that you should lose something
if you guessed wrong.  The point is to provide incentive to either
get the call right - or don't log it.  If there was no penalty, then
you should just log anything and the worst that will happen is that
it won't count.

> >I worry that a new counter-measure is starting to emerge where
> >people feel it necessary to record the contest and "fix" calls.

Some people might do this - but it is considered unethical and if
they ever were found out - their reputation would suffer.

> > The "golden log" idea isn't helping as well.
> >
> >It would be nice to keep contesting fun and I think most contesters
> >would drop this recording nonsense if they thought the work
> >required exceeded any benefit.

It seems to me that the effort of listening to a whole contest would
greatly exceed the extra effort required during the contest to get
the call right in the first place.

As far as W7GG's comments about not sending in his log because of
log checking - I guess we each have to decide what is important
to us.  If you don't want to subject your log to accurate log
checking - to find out what your error rate is like, then don't
send it in.  Obviously getting the information correct isn't a
high priority with Bob.  However, I don't see why he should be allowed
to beat someone else who has a cleaner log and a score that should be
higher when the errors are removed (even without penalties).

73 Tree N6TR
tree at contesting.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com