[CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Wed May 5 13:00:19 EDT 1999

W2CE writes:

> Unfortunately we are talking about cheating vs errors in amuch different
> category.
>
> I had 3 busted calls removed. One was K8OQL wher I had a zero in for the
> O, not an easy correction on some videos and adjacent keys. Another a
> double letter error, likely in typing as I should remember I can
> overtype this keyboard.

I have seen several posts like this - saying that I really
didnt make an error - I just mistyped the information
into the computer.

It seems to me the key word is 'error' - I dont think it
makes any diffrence if the error comes about due to
poor logging (written or typed) or poor over the air
copy by the operator.

(And yes I lost QSOs and had busted calls in my SS Phone log.)

> I have already writen ARRL that my last contest submission has already
> been sent.
>
> After 35 years with a few entries per year, except FD and SS that have
> always been sent in, I am no longer going to participate in a level o
> computer crosschecking and penatly moves I consider ill perceived.

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way - I think it is
one of the best things that has happened to the ARRL contests.

The thing that I like best about the new checking (yes they
have checked logs in the past in the SS) is that it
is fair in that almost all the logs are checked.

I guess you have not been sending in your CQ WW logs for
some time now - as that contest has been computer checked for years.

> Creating such harsh scoring examination is going to drive away new
> contesters an place the old weekend warior compaints of contests right
> back in everyone's faces.

I do not think this is true - back when I started out in
contesting one of my favorite contests was the
ARRL 10m contest and I was able to make the top ten
several times from my small station.  It did not
take me long to notice that the socres that I (and everyone else)
sent it where the same scores that got printed in QST.
It seemed to me that there was no checking going on
at all and I felt let down.  After all you read the rules
and they talk about dupes and penatly QSOs and disqulification - so
I used to worry aobut getting it all correct and making sure
I removed the dupes etc.  but, the truth was it did not
matter.  This made the rules and the contest *less* meaningful
to me.

As a new contester back then I would have gladly
welcomed such close log checking.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com