[CQ-Contest] Re: Paper Logs (was: Busted Calls)

Guy Berger on7zv berger at cyc.ucl.ac.be
Fri May 7 10:53:38 EDT 1999

At 09:24 AM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>>I am curious about a couple areas in log checking. How
>>are paper logs handled? What percentage of received logs
>>are still submitted on paper? I have long since dispensed
>>with paper logs, but I know that many have not made the
>>move to computerization of their stations. Today, it is
>>easier and cheaper then ever before, but not all hams are
>>inclined or computer literate enough.

Well, for the UBA contest, all together we reach around 1000 logs for SSB
and CW.
About 50% of these logs are Emailed or sent on floppies (in many different
formats: log, txt, ARI, ADF,.....). This number is much higher than
previous years. The paper logs are all encoded by "volunteers", in these
paper logs, we have several computer generated logs.

This year we start a new approach for log checking, we wrote a dedicated
soft to automatically spot strange calls, similar calls and to verify the
QSO data if we held the log for both stations. For each participant, we
generate a report including possible mistakes which have then to be analyzed.

At the actual stage, false serials or calls will not be penalized, but
won't count for any point. We just add penalties for unmarked dupes.

The worst problem we face is the format difference. To handle all these
formats, I have to modify the files manually, and use a home made
conversion program to end with something which is compatible with our log
processor.

Our target is to reach the best log checking system with the lowest
manpower in the shortest time laps (the quest for the Holy Grail in another
word HI).

Best 73
Guy

BERGER  Guy   *    Radio amateur call sign: ON7ZV
                     Brussels DX Team member
                 One of the Contest Committee gang
Cyclotron Research Center
Catholic University of Louvain-la-Neuve
Phone:+32/(0)10 47 32 25   Fax:+32/(0)10 45 21 83
E-Mail:   BERGER at cyc.ucl.ac.be
http://www.cyc.ucl.ac.be/

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com