[CQ-Contest] Penalties and Busted Calls

Ted & Joyce Wilhelm k9huh at icss.net
Fri May 7 08:02:11 EDT 1999

Just had to throw in my views on the super log checking...I'm the
first to admit I got burned for stupid errors like not entering the
correct power level and letting the default take control...I do have a
slight problem with getting clipped for 3 Q's each time I used O for
zero....All of us older people who were not raised on computers still
want to use O for zero and sometime a small L for #1 as that is the way
we learned on mechanical typewritters and old habits arer hard to
change...Yea Yea I know this is supposed to be part of operating skills
but give me a break 3 Q's????? Maybe I should go back to logging on
paper and see if anyone can unsramble my chicken scratching some call
writing...This brings up anoher point..I know of a local ham who sent in
a paper computer log and his score shows up as he reported it..Also know
another who got burned for almost 100 Q's because he sent in a disk and
went under the microscope...Is this kind of checking REALLY fair...I
think not and even the unchecked log guy agrees with me....If we are
going to check( I have no problem with that only the way its done) than
EVERY log must be checked...I also suggeest that we put a very short
time period on for electronicly filing or logs, so that all the
massaging and correcting can not be done...After all it is not what your
database tells you it should be but what you copied and entered at the
time of the Q....Would also like to suggest that the exchanges be
changed for each contest. That way the guy with the fancy programs and
data bases plus the knowledge of how to use them (remember zero's) will
not have any thing going for him other than his ability to copy and
correctly enter the exchanged info....Just my thoughts
73 Ted  "HUH"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com