[CQ-Contest] Guessing or miscopied?

v31jp at logical123.net v31jp at logical123.net
Fri May 7 10:21:40 EDT 1999

What I am seeing in this discussion is that each busted
call must have been the result of "guessing", not just
being miscopied. A sudden QSB changes an "N" to an "I",
or a "B" to an "H", and is so entered. These may or may not
be caught, because the receiving operator had no question
as to what he received. He did not guess. This does happen,
but not often. When you have 4,000 to 8,000 Q's in a log,
I would expect that the percentage would still be quite
small. Do these deserve a penalty more than the loss of
the contact. I don't think so. Above what percentage
should a penalty be applied? I can't say, as I do not
have the stat's to say "here is a guesser" and "here are
the miscopied calls." These levels should be stated in
the rules before the contest so that all operators know
and understand the penalties of guessing.

I know that when conditions are poor, QRN, QSB or heavy QRM,
I have a tendacy to drag my feet when S&Ping to insure I did
copy the call correct, even when I have no question. When I
am CQing, I have sent the calling stations call as I have
copied and if he doesn't correct me, what more can I do? Do
I deserve penalty points or a QSO removed?

Oh, yes rate is important in a contest. Don't try to kid
yourselves, but with accuracy. I agree, that a missed
exchange of information is not a QSO.

--
73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek