[CQ-Contest] Re: Two way bonus

Jon Ogden jono at enteract.com
Mon May 10 16:08:53 EDT 1999

>> given BOTH stations ONLY when a qso is completely accurate
>> BOTH ways.
>
>Not if I have a vote!
>
>I want to be graded on my skills, not on some dufus who can't copy
>my Flawless Fist (tm).

Yes, but Hans, part of making a QSO and part of operating skills is
making sure the guy on the other end has your info.  I can send code far
faster than I can receive and using a computer I can really fly.  So does
the fact that I can send so fast and perfectly make me a good operator if
no one can copy?  I am going to the extreme here to illustrate the point.
 Having a good signal and sending perfectly is not all that is necessary,
even if you can copy at 100 wpm.

We have no idea of a person's receiving conditions on the other end.
Just because he can't copy your tx doesn't make him a dufus.  Perhaps
someone stepped on your transmission and you were QRM'd.  How can you
know that since you were transmitting at the time of the QRM?  Perhaps
there was a huge amount of QSB so he copied your call as K0SB instead of
K0HB.  The fact that he didn't get your info correct may or may not have
anything to do with his copying ability.

So making sure that a message is received correctly is as important as
sending it correctly.  And on the receiving end making sure you copied
correctly is just as important.  It reminds me about the movie (I forget
the name) on the submarine with Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman.
Denzel wanted to make sure the message was received correctly.  Hackman
didn't care.  The difference was no nuclear war or nuclear war.  What if
in our current situation in the Balkans if a message was sent "Stop
bombing civlian targets."  Yet the "dufus" on the other end copied "Start
bombing civilian targets."???  The differences can be profound.

So it is encumbent upon a good operator to make sure his message is
received properly.  Making a QSO is more than just sending your info.
Most operators do make sure that the other station copies them correctly.
 They should be rewarded for that.  That is the essense of Guy's
suggestion.

I ramble on.  Sorry.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono at enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com