[CQ-Contest] Misc Log Checking

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Mon May 10 22:08:34 EDT 1999

In a message dated 5/10/99 1:59:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, k2av at qsl.net
writes:

<< I did give the kids "bonuses" for neat stuff beyond the call of duty.
 A's in school got special treatment. Should I have penalized them in
 some manner for a "B" and dropped the rewards for an "A"? >>

Argh!!!

Contests have clear risks and clear rewards. We chose freely to spend
megabucks to receive a line in a magazine and a piece of paper to hang on
the
wall (rewards). The rules give clear remedies if we do not follow them
(risks). Rewards for exceptional performance for years of excellence,
overcoming handicaps and working to improve our avocation comes in the form
of recognition at conventions and in the pages of our magazines. Excellence
is what we do! Continuous improvement is one of the main reasons we contest
year after year.

As a management consultant, I wish companies had risks and rewards as
clearly
spelled out as they are in contests. It would make my job much simpler. Our
entire value system has be compromised by people being rewarded for
mediocrity and longevity. If you study the business models for excellence
you
will find:
1.  Base compensation for performing to your job description.
2.  Promotion only for learning a new skill
3.  Incentives based on enhanced customer satisfaction
4.  Team incentives for continuous improvement
5.  Leadership by logical necessity and without abdication

By rewarding people for getting an A instead of a B, we have become a C
society.

Tom, K5RC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com