[CQ-Contest] SCP in practice

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Fri May 14 02:25:38 EDT 1999

Having admitted to SCPing, K5ZD then wrote:

 I find SCP to be an extremely useful tool but not a substitute to actually
 being able to copy/hear stations.  I would love to create my own SCP
 database like Brett has. Does anyone have software for doing this easily?
 ASCII in and .dta out?

After about 1500 Qs as VS6UP, I wrote my own non-real-time logging program
to deal with (dare I mention it) QSLs & everything worked since has been
bunged into it. Massaging that & various CT .RES files was done either
manually from the dot prompt of a very old version of dBase or with routines
I've thrown together with Clipper (turns dBase program files into
stand-alone
executables).  Those then imported nicely into the best darn real-time
logging program (IMHO) written by N6TR.  The process is even simpler if
your raw logs are all ASCII, as TR's import routine is quite flexible - it
was my older logs in dBase III which required the gymnastics.

I'm not in any sense a programmer, so anyone could do it (maybe even a
phone person ;^).  The key is what your real-time database needs to chew on
& then just figure out how to get there - I'd imagine you have everything
you need already (provided WriteLog [I think that's what you're using for
real-time, Randy] has something similar to Tree's TRMASTER.DTA).

73, VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com