[CQ-Contest] May/June NCJ out, and more

henrypol2 at juno.com henrypol2 at juno.com
Sat May 15 00:00:50 EDT 1999

A quick stop by the PO box on the way home from the airport after a
business-emergency trip to Atlanta resulted in several fishing magazines
and the latest NCJ.  The rainy/cool weather this weekend is ruining my
previously scheduled fishing trip, so I'll just set back with a cup of
hot coffee and enjoy the new magazines.

Front cover photo of KL7RA in his neat shack.  And there is a related
article inside!

Features:
Editorial - more on the NCJ Hot Picks; and Contesting, hobby or
obsession?
Contesting, A Refreshing Perspective
The ARRL Contest Branch (from Dan Henderson, N1ND)
Aurora is NEVER Pretty (cover story)
SCVs - A Family Album, Part 5, Shorties, Double-Wides and Twins (no, this
is not about mobile homes or beds:-) )
Using Less-Common Propagation Modes to Work Multipliers, Part 2
All Time ARRL Field Day Records
Kid's Day, The Non-Contest Contest
The Microstation - V63X
Young Contesters - The Promise of a Future
The Tennessee Contest Group
NCJ Profiles - N6HR

Columns:
VHF-UHF Contesting!
Contesting for Fun - ARRL Log Checking comment, QRP in CW SS
Contest DX-Ventures - DXpedition Destinations, Contest Traveler, Contest
DXpedition List
Contest Calendar - May to August 1999
RTTY Contesting
Contest Tips, Tricks & Techniques - Tips for Beginning Contesters
International Contests - Contest Popularity, an North American results
from 98 IOTA, 98 WAE DX SSB, 98 JIDX HF CW, 98 JIDX LF CW, 98 YO-DX HF,
98 SPDX, 98 Russian, & 97 RSGB 21/28 MHz

Scores:
North American QSO Party RTTY Rules

HF/VHF/UHF bandpass filters from DCI Digital Communications
The W9XT Contest Card and new XT-4 CW Keyer from Unified Microsystems
K1FZ Beverage antenna transformers from Clark Electronics
US Towers from First Call Communications
New WriteLog Ver 9 for Windows 95 from K5DJ
New ad from Cushcraft about the Big Thunder Series

WOW!, another great issue.

Now for something different..., but related.  Another of my long-time
interests has been astronomy.  As a result, I read Astronomy Magazine.
Well, the June issue has an article on John Kraus, titled "Meet the Radio
Man".  It covers his life and the building of "Big Ear", and it's recent
dismantling to make way for a golf course expansion.  Hope the Ohio
golfers are happy! :-(

Now for a request.  Does anyone receive the Australian Radio &
Communications magazine?  E-mail notes to the editor and a few other VKs
have resuled in ZERO replys.  I am looking for a back issue article.

Hope everyone is enjoying Dayton this weekend.

73 and good reading,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com