[CQ-Contest] SCP

tgstewart at pepco.com tgstewart at pepco.com
Mon May 17 09:39:01 EDT 1999

>Of course the greatest use of SCP is in events when I am having some fun
and
>not trying to maximize my
>score.  I like to try to GUESS the full call of those *&%$# guys that send
2
>letters.  I use SCP and my
>knowledge of propagation, accents and stuff like that to try to answer with
>his  full call, and surprisingly
>frequently am able to confuse the guy.

I've done a lot of this in the past and its fun to do, but I also have to
question whether this is costing me some busted callsigns.  Unless the guy
you
are calling is nice enough to correct an error, you are likely to log the
wrong
call (with or without the correct exchange) and then you lose the ultimate 4
QSO's for the error.

Unfortunately, it costs him time to correct your error and he has nothing to
lose by NOT correcting the mistake.

You, on the other hand, have 4 QSO's hanging in the balance.

I'll have to think long and hard about making ANY guesses at complete
callsigns
from now on.

73, Ty K3MM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com