[CQ-Contest] WPX Rumination

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun May 30 01:58:58 EDT 1999

I just quit in the middle of WPX.  Sure, my amp died, but that wasn't the
whole story.  In other contests, other times, I would have scrambled to
borrow a replacement and soldiered on.  After 16 hours (22 hours running
time), I had 1150 QSOs, so that wasn't really the issue -- it was easily my
best start in a CW WPX.

No, I fundamentally quit because WPX is boring.  I don't think it's
anything more than an exercise in run technique.  I still have a lot to
learn in this departmnent, but after 16 hours, I really felt I'd learned
enough for one outing.

I've read the tomes on WPX strategy, but unless you're trying to come out
first in the US, the fine points of picking bands for maximum access to
prefixes seem a little rarefied.  I miss the challenges of per-band country
multipliers that make CQWW and the ARRL DX so much fun.

Will I be back?  Probably.  But WPX will always rank behind the others for me.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr at contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com