[CQ-Contest] UBN reports, log checking, and Administration of same.

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Tue Sep 7 15:55:47 EDT 1999

Tom Lindtveit writes:

> Having said that, I just got my UBN report for the ARRL DX CW contest. I've
> looked at it as much as I can stand to and can barely make heads or tails
> out of what it is TRYING to tell me.

<snip>

> reports in VERY different formats. This last report is so cryptic that I
> can't really tell if I lost any Q's due to busted reports or what. The
> abbreviations used are confusing at best, and in any case are explained
> nowhere in the report.

I agree with you - I think the ARRL should have put up a web page
that explains the reports or even written up a few sentences that
explain what UBN means.  They may know but it is obvious that
not everyone else does.

The ARRL DX contest was checked using the same software that
checks the logs in the CQ WW contest - they have a web page
that explains what the UBN report means - I think you can
use it to help you understand the ARRL's UBN report since
the format is the same.

http://www.cqww.com/ubn-nil-new.html

In fact the ARRL could have just put up a web page or line
at the top of the UBN report that points you to the above
web page.

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)                            -- Dave Leeson W6NL
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com