[CQ-Contest] Follow up to CQ Support

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 16:37:29 EDT 1999

>  The amateur population in the USA has become
>  "shack on a belt" types and both CQ and ARRL are looking for ways to
broaden
>  the knowledge base.
>
>  73 Dave K4JRB

..and they buy lotsa equipment and magazines??
If not contesting, I would be by now a "dead" ham.
If I was only DXer, I would be by now a semi-dead ham.
Because of contesting I buy more equipment, antennas, I would go on
expedition.
Seems a bit illogical logic: contesters buy most stuff, they are roll models
for rest of the hams and something to shoot for, but we want to squeeze them
out and replace them with "stimulating" shack on the belt type?
I would rather see one strong magazine, with many departments and many
readers form all areas of hamming.
I think we can appeal to youngsters by showing them competitive side of radio
rather than walkie-talkie stuff. Long live internet!
What better way to broaden the knowledge base then showing them competitve
side of radio and technical side? Must be "last two".

73 Yuri
http://members.aol.com/k3bu/

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com