[CQ-Contest] Inter-station interference

Bill Coleman aa4lr at atlnet.com
Thu Aug 31 15:46:06 EDT 2000

On 8/31/00 11:55 AM, Barry Kutner at w2up at mindspring.com wrote:

>Andy mentioned
>that K3LR found that ferrite baluns on antennas actually increase
>broadband hash noise, and after removing them, there was less
>interference between stations. Two questions:
>1. Has anyone else verified this?
>2. Is a Hygain BN4000 a ferrite balun?

Huh?

In the November 1998 issue of CQ Contest, K3LR wrote an article about a
3-high remote stack switch.

Tim talks about using current chokes on all his antenna feedpoints,
another choke at the remote antenna switching box, and a third where the
feedline goes into the wattmeter at the shack. These chokes serve to
isolate the sheild of the feedline.

His comment, "It is amazing what the installation of these
high-performance chokes has done to decrease interference and noise
issues at my multi-multi contest station."

Tim used a W0IYH design, which certainly uses Ferrite beads.

Has Tim changed his mind?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at atlnet.com
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com