[CQ-Contest] Packet Issues

Barry Merrill w5gn at mxg.com
Sun Dec 3 15:15:25 EST 2000

I certainly agree that running stations should
ID frequently, but I noticed while running at
KL7RA with Rich's signal and double-multiplier,
every time I ID'ed, I was called by a strong
station, but by occasionally no-IDing, I could
hear those weak JAs and weak EUs that had been
there a while, and were hearable after the no-ID.

The ID-after-every-QSO seemed to be a magnet
for the serious double-multiplier seekers, and
especially when I began to "sense" those weak
stations were there, I dropped the ID every
4-5 QSOs, which let me make a lot of QSOs
with low power, weak
 (and perhaps brand-new-to-contesting!)
stations that would have been otherwise unreadable.

This observation was made possible thanks to
the many hours Rich spent on his many towers,
and Fairbanks ain't the Carribean!

Barry, W5GN

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com