[CQ-Contest] Can't hear the station? Call anyway...

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Mon Dec 4 05:59:12 EST 2000

On Fri, 01 December 2000, "Robert Shohet" wrote:

<snip>
> I would like to also point out, that due to the increasingly unruly nature
> of many DX pileups, often, when the DX station sends his call, WE CAN'T HEAR
> IT, because it is drowned out by a collection of people calling...
<snip>

I agree that many of the contests pileups were unruly, but I must say again that they've been that way for YEARS, only now they are bigger and more instantaneous.

Last night I heard a W2 calling a 9A5 station in the 75meter DX window (after I spotted the 9A5) that he couldn't hear.  I'm certain he couldn't hear him (or at least not well enough for a *real* QSO) since he called twice while the DX was transmitting.  There was NO pileup; nobody was calling the 9A5 except the W2.  Now, get several dozen to a hundred of these types in a contest pileup and, well, things go to hell in a hurry.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com