[CQ-Contest] Scatter modes on 10 - Success or Failure

Hammond, Rob EU-Pencoed Rob.Hammond at eu.sony.com
Thu Dec 7 07:41:42 EST 2000

I'm not a propagation expert but I have noticed propagation via scatter on
10 most times I've operated on that band.
When I had a high 6 element Yagi on 6 Meters , There was another guy living
6 miles away who was always active. There was a huge mountain between us,
some 6 miles across & 1800ft High with us both tucked either side in
adjacent valleys but if we both beamed in the same direction, south or
north, 80% of the time, we could work but signals were very "fluttery".
So on 10 ?
========
I've heard though that to work scatter modes successfully on 10, you need to
be running HP & have a good antenna system. As my license is for 100W only I
wonder what type of success I might expect.
  This year in the CQ WW SSB , M6T was very strong to me on 10M but I know
there is no direct path from that area of the UK as there's about 20 Miles
worth of Mountains between us ( & about 150 miles after that ) & I live in a
valley, but I wasted a good couple of minutes ( due to in-experience )
trying to work them on 10&15.
 For this weekend I'm operating from the top of one of the highest local
mountains with beautiful sloping ground in most directions & a high
monobander + vertical.  I wonder your opinions on whether my 100W will
possibly work via scatter modes or will I be wasting my evenings when I
could be tucked up in bed awaiting the next morning to operate ??

Cheers

Rob MW5EPA

are addressed.
Sony cannot accept liability for statements made which are clearly
the sender's own and not made on behalf of Sony.
(01)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com