[CQ-Contest] Band edges?

Gary Letchford k0luz at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 18 10:18:04 EST 2000

As a former OO,   I guess I can answer some of these questions.

OO is an ARRL appointment that has no government connections. I don't
remember receiving any training before being appointed,  It  depended on the
State Section Manager to decide if the person was qualified to receive the
appointment.    Simply said OO's are volunteers that send out notices when
they feel there has been a violation.   It is a service provided by the
volunteers to alert operators that they need to evaluate their equipment or
operating procedures to be sure all is ok and hopefully avoid being ticketed
by some official such as the FCC in the future.

Could the OO be wrong?  Yes!

However,  you might consider why you got the notice instead of trying to
figure out how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin.   Usually there
is a strong possibility that something is wrong and the volunteer is asking
you to check and make sure everything is ok.  And if you find out that there
was a problem,  take action to avoid having it happen again.

There are absolutely no requirements to reply to the notice.   You haven't
lost any "points" on your license.  You can even decide that there was no
validity to the notice and forget it.

I never considered myself as a "policeman"  but as someone who might be able
to point out a problem that an operator wasn't aware.

73
Red
K0LUZ

> I have been licensed since 1977 and have never had the misfortune to
receive
> a notice from an OO which I believe stands for Official Observer.  Let us
> say that one is out of band by a small amount and receives a notice from
an
> Official Observer.  What is a operator to do next?  Is one required to
> respond back to the Official Observer in a prescribed amount of time?
What

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com