[CQ-Contest] Re: Out of band

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Mon Dec 18 08:34:09 EST 2000

> Fellows, some of the speculation going on is highly suspect. I remember
> aksing the ARRL some years ago this specific question for SSB. Their
> answer was if you are less than 3 kHz from the bottom edge on SSB on the
> HF bands, you are out of band. At the same time, I seem to remember a
> figure of 1.25 kHz for CW.

Depends on which sideband.  If you're 2KHz above the bottom edge and using
LSB, you *are* out of the band.  (at least, the lower part of your sideband
is)  If you're using USB on the same frequency, then whether you're out of
the band or not depends on how much you trust your sideband filter.
Personally, I trust it.  (I have received an OO notice for that reason
though)

1.25KHz for CW seems rather much.  I wonder if these figures date back from
1950s/1960s equipment where dial calibration (and undesired-sideband
suppression) were much worse than they are today?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com