[CQ-Contest] Re: Does might make right in contesting?

bogus at does.not.exist.com bogus at does.not.exist.com
Fri Feb 25 08:07:07 EST 2000

> I am curious how the contesting community feels about this one.
> This is not intended as an exercise in finger pointing, although
> I am tempted to note one particular example from a very prominent
> USA M/M station this last weekend.  But what's the point?  Everybody
> knows that it happens, and most ops know who the worst offenders
> are.
> Just like most people know who runs gas, etc., word gets out.
>
> The question is simple: is it OK to take a frequency from someone?

NO

> Are there times when it is OK and times when it is not?  Please
>explain.

It is NEVER OK.

> Are there "prime areas" where it is acceptable, and areas where it
is not?

Again never OK

> Is it acceptable for mega-stations to battle it out in the "prime"
> real-estate, and the "meek & weak" should stay the hell away? :-)

If a "prime real-estate" frequency is free anybody can use it.

> Is it acceptable for a loud station to take whatever frequency
> they want, no matter where in the band?

Yes if it´s free

> Is there a line somewhere that can be crossed?  Where is it?

NO

> In short, does might make right?   This IS a CONTEST, right?

NO

> If an op is running 70/hr on a frequency and you know you can
> do 100+/hr, is it OK to jump in there and take over his/her
> frequency?  Is courtesy an issue in contesting?  Or is it OK to
> bump weaker stations out of the way when you need a frequency
> and have the capability to take one?   Your thoughts, please.

ofcourse NOT

Now everybody makes misstakes in the heat of the battle bute sure
there a some very stubborn cases. I could publish some calls of
very prominent contesters that I know being big offenders to the
above but I better not, there are a few bad cases in USA and England
that has done a number on me but I just sort them out as big LIDs.

de Jim SM2EKM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com