[CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Sat Jan 22 13:36:02 EST 2000

On 22 Jan 00, at 11:57, Bruce Sawyer wrote:

> I submit that this notion of "DX Window" is a fundamentally flawed concept, and
> wish the idea would disappear, soon.

Bruce...

One of the best anti-window arguments I've read...I agree 100%.

But, we've decided to just avoid the various "windows" for CQing on 160 just
because of the wrath that descends upon us when we try to use it.  We have a
fairly competitive 160 station (W4WA) and would love a QRM-free window into
EU...but everytime in the past we tried using the window for inter-continental
DX, the loud US guys call us, squishing the EUs.  And/or the kilocycle cops
come on and tell us we're on an illegal frequency in the window and start
QRMing.  If you're trying to win the contest, it just ain't worth it to fight
over it...just QSY a little and let part of the band go to waste as far as
CQing is concerned.

The argument in favor of the window as I understand it is to help the little
pistol type stations work DX.  Well, I operated the ARRL 160 contest low power
from W4WA this year and still had DX calling me when I was CQing outside the
window.  When I called DX in the window, the big guns clobbered me.  It's no
different than having a smaller signal on any other band, it's simply harder
work and you get beaten up more when running less than a full-bore station.

I've also operated from my station in the past using a Butternut HF-2V with 160
kit and found no advantage to the window.

Like you said, one guy's DX is another guy's QRM.  I really don't understand
why the idea that we must have a separate range of frequencies for DX Qs
persists, particularly on a band with such differing band plans from one
country to the next.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers