[CQ-Contest] voice on computer for contests?

spa spa at tri.net
Mon Jul 3 17:59:59 EDT 2000

I just checked the UBN and NIL files for 1999 CQ WW SSB and have a few
comments:

I am a 61 yr old occasional contester with a significant high frequency
hearing loss, probably from 20 years of driving farm tractors with no
hearing protection in my earlier years so have always thought that my
copy ability is a major limitation.

For this contest, 15M SO, I discovered that the T match on the M2 15M4
had been damaged by high wind the night before, the SWR was 4:1, the
Dentron MLA2500 couldn't match so I ended up adding a 3 dB pad to the
coax to get the observed SWR down a bit, ran the Kenwood TS-940 thru it
and was able to operate at about 50 watts out (and truthfully worked
everything I heard!).

Limited time and casual operation resulted in:  332 QSO's, 33 zones, 93
countries.  No big deal for the guys on this reflector.

I had one NIL deducted, 4 BAD (I entered/actual: s5ol / s50l, ya0fdx /
ua0fdx, e41/ok1dt  / e41/ok1dtp, kl1ra /kl7ra) mostly typos, for a -1.5%
deduction.  Not too bad for my typing and listening abilities.

But, NIL  in other's logs and not deducted from my score were my call
listed as: n7uu, n2uu, n2uu, n3uu, n2uu.  Obviously not only can't I
hear, but I can't speak clearly.

For the CQ WW am going to work a bit harder:  have a solid KW 3CX1200A,
a M2 tribander ordered, etc, and there isn't much to do except operate
better, but the voice bit bothers.  One of my gripes is the DX with a
voice ID that I can't understand and when asked to repeat answers with
the same recorded garble.  Another is the multi-op who CQs with one
voice and answers with another.  Another is the pile up which is always
answered by "the YL please?"  I obviously can't help with the former
two.

So I'm sitting here covering anesthesia call in the hospital wondering:
We have a secretary that has one of those high pitched sweet voices that
just demands attention.  You know who is speaking with the first
syllable and feel compelled to pop to attention.  Why not just have her
narrate all of the standard messages and letter/numbers and run the
contest as a YL?  I wouldn't be so hoarse at the end of the contest and
might end up with less errors in other's logs.

Comments?

N0UU

OK, so it is slow around here.  If I do this, do I have to dress like
her?

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com