[CQ-Contest] Bad practices identified

n6tr at teleport.com n6tr at teleport.com
Fri Jul 21 08:09:36 EDT 2000

K4JRB writes:

> I have run into two bad practices on holding a run frequency.
> With the advent of SO2R and/or 2 VFO transceivers its common for a
> contestant to leave a run frequency to work a multiplier and return.
> However, if the contestant leaves a frequency open for over 60 seconds
> then I feel its fair game.  I found a open slot in a recent contest
> and in the midst of the third QSO another station came on and told me
> this was his frequency.  He had been gone for at least 90 seconds.  I
> told him to find another frequency.

I have two comments about this - 60 to 90 seconds is a very long
time in a contest.  Sounds more like someone getting a sandwich
than a 2nd radio QSO.  I think if I make about 3 CQs over 15 seconds
with nobody complaining, I would have a clear conscience about
fighting for the frequency.

> The second practice is having someone hold the frequency
> (pre-arranged).  I feel that if this is a single operator then the log
> is subject to being moved to multi operator.  Fortunately this is not
> a common practice, and its hard to prove.  It borders on illegal and
> is poor sportsmanship.

Well, I have done this with friends many times - but only when
I am not serious in a contest (and they aren't either).  In fact,
nobody from the west coast is serious in most any contests but
that is a differnet subject.  The problem is, if someone heard me
do it, they might think I was "cheating" - but when you aren't
serious, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I just keep thinking about how the sprint QSY rule gets rid
of all of these types of problems.

Back to the first subject...  if ANYONE CQs more than about 4
times with no results, I would suggest anyone can come along
and challenge him to the frequency.  It is like pulling
up beside someone in a race car during the straight away, and
seeing who can make it into the corner first.

73 Tree N6TR
n6tr at contesting.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com