[CQ-Contest] Learning to SO2R

Scott Robbins w4pa at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 09:17:55 EDT 2000

>This is the key:  "SKILLED" SO2R operators.  The
>problem is that 99% of
>the
>so-called SO2R operators are NOT skilled at it, and I
>would characterize many of those who are not as at
>least bordering on unsportsman-like.

True - but we all have to start somewhere to try and
learn SO2R if we decide to do so.  I am encouraged by
the growing group of people we have in Tennessee
Contest Group that are not "big guns" but are seeing
two radio operation as a way to increase their scores
without a macroeconomic investment in station
hardware.  Having a $400 second radio with some wires
is better than not doing it at all.

However, SO2R has to be learned hands-on and it takes
a lot of time and when learning to do it you're
undoubtedly going to sound like a lid while doing it.
It took me full year before I felt like I was doing
better than I would with 1 radio.  It surely took at
least a couple of years before I really felt
comfortable running two rigs.  Behind me in my path
lie CQ's I called that were answered and I didn't
respond to, transmitting on the wrong radio, CQing on
top of someone I just S&Ped and other mistakes made in
the heat of battle.

It may sound unsportsmanlike, but I don't think it is
always intentional.  My $0.02.

Scott Robbins, W4PA