[CQ-Contest] SO2R de ja vu

Scott Robbins w4pa at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 14:42:26 EDT 2000

YAWN.

How many times has the relative merits of SO2R been
debated on this reflector in the last 5 years?
Whether it’s fair, whether it’s a separate category
whether it’s this or that really isn’t relevant.  The
fact of the matter is that people who have been
winning radio contests SO2R have been doing it since
the 1950’s, it’s a viable strategy for winning a
contest and those who are willing to make the
commitment to themselves to learn to do it should be
rewarded.   I don’t recall anyone howling about how
unfair it was that some of the super ops were computer
logging back in the early 90’s and how computer
loggers should be in a separate category.   Technology
made an advance – radio contesting made an advance.
Not much different with SO2R operation.

Worrying about SO2R (or any other aspect of contesting
not to your liking) is not a “big picture” view of
amateur radio contesting and I’ll say something I have
said before:  If you are worried about what your
competitors are doing, you’re already losing the
contest before it starts.  Contesting is a mental
game.  Think you’re loud?  You are loud.  Think you’re
good?  You are good.   Overcome mental hurdles,
concentrate on bettering yourself rather than
expressing concern over what others are doing and
you'll really see those scores shoot up.

These same philosophies seem to work rather well with
employment and raising children, too….but that’s for
rec.amateur.psych

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA