[CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers

W5ASP at aol.com W5ASP at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 15:25:00 EDT 2000

While I DON'T want to start another "thread" on the topic of cut numbers, I
am curious to know if anyone has observed one particular problem I ran across
rather frequently in WPX CW.

I ran across a number of instances where the "Serial Number" was followed by
"TU".
Unfortunately it was being sent such that there was a pause between the "T"
and the "U"... a practice many seem to use.  The net result was the "T" would
appear as part of the serial number, the "cut number" version of "Zero",
particularly when other stations would start an early "tail end" call.  It
wasn't hard to loose the "U" in the QRM.   Getting a repeat wasn't always
easy.  (I made all my QSOs in response to CQs)

Also I noted a few innovative souls who gleefully mixed "1", Zero", "A"  "O"
and "T" all in the same serial number.... really fun stuff.

I don't expect anything to change... just seemed more prevalent than usual.

Thanks for the Qs.

Joe, W5ASP (@ZF1A)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com