[CQ-Contest] Station Upgrades

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 21:48:11 EDT 2000

In a message dated 06/08/2000 5:14:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
chrisb at waveinter.com writes:

> Hi, as a little pistol (TS430S w/ 3 el tribander @10m and wires and a small
>  amp) I was wondering if my limited funds would be better spend on
>  newer/better antenna's or buying one of the newer and better rigs on the
>  market.....IC756 Pro, 1000Mp, IC746, FT920, ...etc?

     Great question! I'd spend any new funds on antennas. If you've got a
trap-tribander, replacing it with something like a C-3/4 will add a bunch of
performance to your operation (the numbers are in our tribander test). The
C-4 has a dipole on 40M so you pick up more help on that band.

     IMO a new radio is more psychological help. While it's real nice to have
in the shack, it won't help you in the airwaves where contacts are made.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com