[CQ-Contest] SO2 Computer

John T. Laney, III K4BAI at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 22 18:37:13 EDT 2000

Hello all:  It seems to me that it would be very difficult with two
complete stations and computers not to transmit on both rigs at the same
time.  With so much sending being done by computer (repeat CQs, etc),
I'd be afraid that I'd break the rule several times during a contest.

For me, it is best to use a program like NA that controls both rigs from
one keyboard and prevents simultaneous transmissions on both rigs.

Even in MS stations, where there are completely separate rigs, but
simultaneous transmissions are not permitted (everything but CQWW I
think), it is best to have some type of "lock out" device or other
mechanical, electrical, or computer control mechanism that prevents
simultaneous transmissions.  Even with the best of intentions, hand
signals, etc. are simply not effective to prevent simultaneous
transmissions, particularly when there are different operators.  The
problem is somewhat lessened when there is only one operator, but it is
still a problem when there are multiple computers (or automatic keyers
or DVKs) that can cause both rigs to transmit at the same time.  I
always worry about even unintentional multiple transmissions with such
set ups.
It seems to me to be almost impossible to avoid breaking this rule
unless you have some external control to prevent it.  In the absence of
it, I would have a hard time certifying compliance with the contest
rules.

73, John, K4BAI/8P9HT.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

>From Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc at dialup.mplik.ru  Fri Jun 23 07:29:48 2000
> Even in MS stations, where there are completely separate rigs, but
> simultaneous transmissions are not permitted (everything but CQWW I
> think), it is best to have some type of "lock out" device or other
> mechanical, electrical, or computer control mechanism that prevents
> simultaneous transmissions.

It is so easy to implement though. All you need is just a pair of cheap
relays that lock out each other and control the respective PTT lines.

73,
Igor, UA9CDC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com