[CQ-Contest] RE: Busted de K1JN

Marty Watt n5nw at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 19:38:47 EST 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:54:22 -0000, Jim Kehler <kh2d at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:

>Why would you want to do that ? I thought the object of a contest was to
>beat the 'other guys'.  Maybe you could enlighten me and explain just who
>these 'others' are and why you are concerned with how well they do in
>the contest.

Without passing judgement on anyone's motives, I rather think of contesting
the same way I do golf.  I don't beat anyone else, I'm playing the course.
The one who does the best against the course wins.  And, like golf, I'm not
necessarily going to do the other guy's homework for him.  He has to survey
the course and avoid the "rough" just like I do.  I'm not going to
intentionally decieve anyone either (by putting a hazard on the course, or a
fake spot on the cluster).

Or maybe more like blackjack.  The guy next to me might take "my" card, but
I'm still playing the house, not the other players.

With my station, just entering is a success.  Apartment dwelling and
contesting don't mix.  Random wire, TS-940 with LOTS of filtering, a TS-570DG,
and a tuner.  And operate QRP to boot (avoid the TVI/RFI issues).

--
Marty, N5NW
Lakeland (Memphis), Tennessee                       http://marty.w.tripod.com/
N5NW at midsouth.rr.com