[CQ-Contest] Band pass filters for M/M

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at contesting.com
Mon Mar 13 12:03:47 EST 2000

The best was dipoles, WITH multi-bead (for least weight) choke baluns
at the centers, arranged end-to-end.

Second place was one horizontal, the other vertical. This was in
second place not so much because of separation, which may have been
better, but that the vertical was a decidedly inferior antenna for
this contest, having no high angle radiation.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:21:10 -0800, you wrote:

>Good question.
>
>You will need crystal or ceramic filters to be able to do this.  You
>will be bound to a very small bandwidth to work in but it works.  It
>used to be done by some M/M guys. Probably its still being done to hear
>very close to the run station for mults.
>
>Also you might want to try using a vertical for one station and a dipole
>or some other horizontally polarized antennas for the other.  This will
>give an addition 30db (ideal) isolation.
>
>I have also seen a very straight dipole aimed at the other in band
>antenna so its null was in the others direction.  And it worked but the
>spacing was 300 feet or so to the other array.
>
>Another trick is to have a station listen on a beverage.  For 40m its
>not very long and I have set up a 40m station CW with the SSB FD station
>about 400 feet away.  It worked very well.  Put the beverage out as far
>away from the other antenna as possible.  Matter of fact it worked so
>well, the SSB guys wanted their own beverage the next year.  They had a
>2 ele beam and we smoked them in QSOs.
>
>Jay

--.  .-..
73, Guy