[CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge

Cormac J Gebruers c.gebruers at oceanfree.net
Wed May 31 22:20:09 EDT 2000

G'day All,
For what its worth:
As a computer scientist working in the AI (Artificial Intelligence) field
and programming supposedly "intelligent" agents for a living I would happily
put on record that NO "ROBOT" WILL COME CLOSE TO A GOOD HUMAN OP ANYTIME IN
THE NEAR FUTURE.
Furthermore I'd hazard a guess that it probably won't be achieved in a 20-25
year timespan either.
Sure a well programmed BOT could manage most of the 59+40 over QSOs with
other english speaking Ops. {Assuming in this instance the BOT is programmed
to handle english language QSOs}.
But think of those QSO's carried out
Down at 56 & below -
With those guys & gals who give you the QSO with the only  5 words of
english they have...
In a 200 station pileup
When the static is up
etc. etc.

No machine is likely to be capable of the level of incisiveness achievable
by a human Op. After all just look at the only moderate success of cw / data
mode decoding programs...

73 & long live the human Op! :o)
Cormac EI4HQ
Contester with EI7M