[CQ-Contest] Re MFJ-432 Mods

K4tmc at aol.com K4tmc at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 16:09:30 EST 2000

First, thanks to WM3T, K8CC, K8DO, AE0Q, VE3FU, K1KY, K4SB, WM5R, KL7RA,
N6KI, KK1L, WD4K, & K8ZT for their thoughts, suggestions, and experiences in
using and modifying the MFJ-432 voice keyer.

Second, here is what I have done.  I have taken K4SB's idea (Thank's Ed) of
using a computer mouse and have modified a spare 2-button mouse to give me
remote function of Messages 1 and 4, and the Repeat Message 1 switch.  Once I
took apart the mouse, I found that it is just not a simple switch box!  Even
though there are 2 small micro-switches, there is a circuit board with an IC,
surface-mounted-devices, and the roller-ball mechanism/electronics.  The
wires coming out of the mouse do not give you direct connection to the
micro-switch contacts; therefore, I had to get out the X-acto knife and
soldering iron and do some re-engineering of the traces around the switches
and cable connector.  Since there was no third switch available, I removed
the ball and installed a small micro-switch through the top of the mouse and
will use it as the Repeat Message 1 switch.  I found a spare mouse extension
cable in my junk box, and clipped it at about 8 inches from the connector.  I
drilled a hole in the 432 back, inserted the cable with just the mini-DIN
connector hanging outside, and used a cable tie as a strain relief.  The
connections to the 432 were made to the terminal connector strip on the back
of the unit by passing the wires back through the open slot in the 432
cabinet.  I just used a single wrap of the wire and a drop of solder.  Since
several of the terminal pins were not in use, I routed a wire from the Repeat
Message 1 switch to one of the spare terminal pins.  Everything works just as
I envisioned.  Sine a mouse is designed to be moved about, and trying to flip
a microswitch exerts some lateral force; I found that I needed someway to
keep it from moving around so easily.  The fishing tackle box came to the
rescue.  I simply glued inside the mouse a 2 oz fishing weight.  I will have
to wait until the next major phone contest to determine if there is need for
more improvements.  This all looks neat now that everything is back together.
 And the mouse cord can be disconnected right at the back of the 432.

73 & High Rates,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com