[CQ-Contest] Working Dupes

Brakob, Hans Hans_Brakob at adc.com
Mon Nov 6 13:32:42 EST 2000

With the advent of Cabrillo and ARRL automated log checking, it is suddenly
tempting to *not* turn away attempted dupes.  Rather consuming time
(and busting rhythm on a run) to argue with someone, why not just accept
the Q and move on to the next caller?

In fact there might be some arguments (borrowing from DX philosophy)
for WFWL.

Maybe you really didn't work them the first time because --

 1 -they worked an unheard shadow-station, not you.

    You end up "NIL" for the first contact and lose the Q,
    but get credit for the Q you thought was a dupe.  The
    net is zero points, vs. a net loss if you chased them
    away.

 2 -you worked someone else and busted a similar call.

    You lose the first contact with "someone else" but get
    points for the second contact.  Same net as scenario 1.

Or maybe they worked you, but busted your call, and it really *is*
a dupe.  You get credit for the first contact, and no subtraction
for the dupe, which nets you positive points.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but:

  -- If I refuse a dupe, I could lose some points, and might
     screw up my run.
  -- If I work a dupe, I won't lose points, and can potentially
     'cover' a previous error on my part.

73, Hans, K0HB
Lord High Liberator of Electric Smoke

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com