[CQ-Contest] SO2R on Force 12 Tribanders

Tim Totten, N4GN n4gn at n4gn.com
Mon Nov 6 16:26:23 EST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, K6LL wrote:

> Has anyone tried using one of the Force 12 Tribanders
> with three separate feedlines and bandpass filters
> in a SO2R setup? That would work out pretty well on the
> tower here, but I am concerned about the three driven
> elements being so close together.

First, Dave, you're plenty loud here in KY without any new antennas!  But
assuming you can't leave well enough alone . . .

I've not tried that exact antenna, but I have a C-4XL (C-3 tribander with
2-el 40 on same boom--two feeds a few feet apart).  I just got my WX0B
W3NQN-style 6-band BPFs hooked up only minutes before SS CW.  I was AMAZED
that I could xmit with full power on 40, and still copy quite well on 20
with the same antenna!  If I was CQing high in the band on 40, my second
harmonic was well out of the way on 20.

Of course there was still some level of QRM, but most SS signals were
easily copied through it.  Possibly a different story in a DX contest.
And I'll be CQing lower in the band in a DX contest too, so the second
harmonic will be more of a problem.  I'll let you know how it works in
about 3 weeks!

After one contest, it's an enthusiastic two thumbs up for the WX0B BPFs!

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn at n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com