[CQ-Contest] PJ9JT QTH Revived

Geoff Howard ghoward at kent.edu
Tue Nov 7 20:54:44 EST 2000

Hi all,

In early 2000 I reported here that the famous PJ9JT QTH of W1BIH had been
sold to a Dutch couple. Their plan was to bulldoze the house and put up
their own grand villa on the site. Thus, the end of the decades-long ham
radio legacy of that house, of the Coral Cliff Hotel, and of the Radioteam
Finland operations of 1990.

But in an amazing twist of fate, the Dutch couple never executed on the
deal and, after four months, were forced in April to withdraw their
purchase commitment.

I'm pleased to announce that John's place is now back in the ham community,
having been purchased last week as a contest QTH for the CCC (Caribbean
Contesting Consortium) gang. We will do our very best to preserve the long
amateur radio tradition of the place and to do credit to the tradition set
by CQ Contest Hall of Fame member W1BIH.

CCC has been a nomadic group for several years, with several high-scoring
finishes from VP5. Finally, we now have a permanent station location, and
will be building the place up over the next year to a full-up multi/multi
with three towers and stacked monobanders. We have a building permit from
the Curacao government for all of these improvements, and work will begin
right away. It will become a turnkey station, with all gear and computers
on hand, requiring little or zero bag-dragging by contesters.

You can read about our group and the plans for the site at
http://asgard.kent.edu/ccc . The place is available for the 2001 ARRL SSB
and both WPX contests next year. We want the Curacao QTH to be an open
resource, available to all contesters -- fun is the object!! It will be
rented on a cost-recovery basis only and will never be run as a
profit-seeking endeavor.

You haven't lived if you've never operated from the DX side. Please e-mail
me if you want to know more, or contact any of our 19 members listed on the
web site.

  Thanks and 73,

     - Geoff, W0CG, Suffield, Ohio

CCC Secretary-Treasurer