[CQ-Contest] CW spacing?

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Tue Nov 7 22:55:08 EST 2000

At 09:51 PM 11/7/2000 -0500, Tim Totten, N4GN wrote:

>Comments?  How close is too close?  Is this "passband centering" a problem?

I think some of the problems with people seeming to be too close is because
some listen on CW-USB, some on CW-LSB.  I prefer the CW-R (LSB) setting on
my TS-850 and use the same side when using my FT1000mp.  Either way, when I
listen to signals and tune for a higher pitch I'm also tuning to a higher
frequency.  I think this comes from my use of a TS-830 where that was the
standard CW configuration.   When I S&P I tune the band from high to low,
and I think most people do it the other way because they usually listen to
CW on USB (standard on the TS850 and FT1000mp).

If we all did it on the same sideband, using the same offset pitch, and
same filters, running the same CW speed, we might cram in more signals with
less QRM, but it wouldn't be as interesting...

                                 -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com