[CQ-Contest] W1AW's QRQ was a beautiful thing to hear - I stopped to listen!

James White k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 9 07:42:43 EST 2000

K4SB wrote, and others have talked about QRQ as a problem in SS...here was
Ed's take:

"I already made the comment about the "high speed" nuts which Dave
commented on also, and I completely agree with him. I'll go a step
further and name W1AW as one of the worst offenders in last week's
contest. Didn't exactly set an example.."

I tuned past W1AW a couple of times and wondered if it was "that seven" or
Dave of many calls I was listening to operating - it was good A1 (no pun
intended) operating I observed.  Excuse me - I saw an example - oh, I see,
sending slow CW is more politically correct...not that it is better
operating but is more in line with the average.

I think this is crud.

If by sending fast someone shoots themselves in the foot so be it...looks to
me like the numbers form W1AW's operation this past weekend are rolling in
right up there on the Dink board!

If a station with difficulty copying does not ask the sender to QRS then
they won't get it...ANY COMPETITOR WORTH A GRAIN OF SALT HAPPILY AGREES TO
QRS WHEN ASKED, I HAVE HEARD AND DONE IT MYSELF!  Or is it you are saying
that by forcing them into a situation where they have to ask for a QRS we
are creating a situation hazardous to those operators self esteem?

I am very disappointed that CW at higher speeds is being demonized...QRQ is
a beautiful thing and the fact that the minimum requirement for licensing
has been lowered in no way should imply the QRQ is a bad thing...good clean
crisp exchanges are wonderfully efficient...in and out bang done - the theme
of what happened to the olde days of CD Parties and CW traffic handling
rears its head...where have the OPERATORS gone?

If you feel someone is sending too damn fast just say DE KD4XYZ PSE QRS...it
works just fine.

If sending too fast is that station's operating strategy flaw that
competitor will be rewarded by listening to himself CQ...or are you saying
nobody can copy CW already and he should never even start above 20, how
about 13...no 5 WPM?  NOT!!!

Jim, K4OJ

Good CW is a truly beautiful thing - don't lower the bar raise the standard,
or is contesting now another part of our dumbing down - I though contesters
strove to do things better?

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com