[CQ-Contest] Fish in a barrel

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Wed Nov 8 23:37:44 EST 2000

I find it hard to understand how a good finish from KP2 or KP4 in SS is
less of an accomplishment that from certain other locations.  While there
might be some merit on SSB, where 28 MHz can be a bottomless pit of fresh
stations to work, I don't believe it to be true on CW.

To win on CW, even from the Caribbean, still requires a good station, a
SO2R setup, and a good, aggressive operator.  This is necessary because
just like everyone else, you'll run out of easy stations to contact.  While
there may be some benefit to the rare callsign factor, if there is more
than one station from your area on then you're just another 2x1 callsign to
work.

For SS, is Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands really that much different than
south Florida?  Regardless, some areas of the country are better suited for
SS.  A W7 in WWA most likely does not get the propagation that AZ gets, and
as W4AN found out in last year's SS from K5RC, NV is too far west to really
benefit from SO2R.  Geez...GA sounds like a pretty good place to do SS :-)

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com