[CQ-Contest] Single-Op - Stop the Rot.

Keith Kerr pat058 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 14:46:53 EST 2000

Paul,
I fear we are raking over old ground here and can hear the
the various camps' replies already........but I
wholeheartedly agree. Cluster spotting etc is not going to
go away and for M/M, M/S and Assisted operations that's
fine...if that is how you wish to play. I am not, however,
at all enthusiastic about the demise of the 'unassisted'
category. I cannot buy into the arguement that it is simply
another piece of station technology with which to improve
your performance. This is DIFFERENT. I also feel that the
arguement that "people (some) use it anyway (ie CHEAT)
therefore just allow it", does not hold water. What was it
someone said recently on this reflector about 'dumbing
down'??
If you need/want someone else to find mults for you during
the contest....fine, the assisted category is just as valid
as any other, just have the guts to admit it and enter the
appropriate section. Of course rumours abound, sometimes
based on little fact and more than a little jealousy, but I
guess we all know, or think we know of instances when we
were up against guys  who were 'at it'. It has been very
interesting operating at our GM7V/GZ7V M/M station where,
yes, even in Shetland, we were receiving spots VERY
quickly.....interesting because so often we would be on the
Mult's frequency just as the pile-up develops and still be
competing with well know calls in the SO 'unassisted'
group. OK, statistically this can happen once or twice but
several years experience suggest this is more than chance.
Oh, and by the way, the pattern I describe just doesn't
hang together with SO2R operating either....sorry!
What chance some log-checking detective work might snif out
the rat and 'stop the rot'?
To those contest sponsors who do not wish to have both
assisted and unassisted categories, a plea......stick to
unassisted!
Just my thoughts.
Keith GM4YXI

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com