Vs: [CQ-Contest] Better now or 20 years ago ?

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Tue Nov 14 15:23:39 EST 2000

Running after packetcluster infos, one is generally going to waste more
time than if searching alone because he always finds and follows the
mess, or old spots, or broken calls, or a propagation that doesn't
exist for him. One is always late or too early, always fighting alone
against big, "unmoderated" groups or with a wrong propagation.
At high levels there won't be differences in final results if
packetcluster spots would be allowed because those facts are well known
and top competitors generally work mults before the others, earlier
than packet spots or later in quieter moments than wild pile ups,
knowing perfectly how to do it.
At low levels, I mean people unable to search or to search toward the
right heading at the right time, may be yes having spots is different
than having not, but this is a diseducative feature of packetcluster
that has little to do with the core of the original question.
We can continue to debate, but facts (results) repetedly showed that
assisted entrants are nearly always unable to collect more mults than
un-assisted and the forever complaints could easily be avoided beeing
more practical and leaving people to do, in this field, what they
prefer most, exactly like it happens in similar things that noone
questions about.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

time for mults nothing special comes out, there's no advantage the b
> When(/if) we can use packet all SO classes, it also changes single op
contesting dramatically (at the high level): no more band tuning for
new mults, SO is able to notice all the band openings by packet cluster
spots - the winner will be an operator who can beat the packet pileups
quicker and has the best strategy for working new spots.

> I don't know if this change is good or bad but it really makes the
feeling of SO operating really different (just try WAE contests ...).
The names of the winners will remain the same anyhow, I think ...

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com