[CQ-Contest] The meaning of words

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Wed Nov 15 11:30:28 EST 2000

This situation is not one of "assistance".

You are calling CQ alone, within the limits of your category, and some
random guy comes along and answers your CQ.  You cannot control what
he tells you and in this case it happens to be information you need.
No problem.

To make the distinction, let's say that you told the guys at your club
meeting that you'd be operating on 3925 during the last two hours of
the contest and might need some help finding multipliers.  During this
time, one of your buddies tunes by 3925 and hears your request for VT.
He tunes up the band and finds WB1GQR and comes back to 3925 and tells
you.  This is an assisted situation.

The difference is subtle, but I think it's quite clear.

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O
N5NJ at arrl.net
www.qsl.net/n5nj