[CQ-Contest] Super Check Partial - Crutch or Tool?

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Wed Nov 15 05:12:54 EST 2000

Again, I've seen the topic of Super Check Partial being discussed as
some form of "assistance". I think perhaps that depends on how you use
it.

What exactly is the correct way to use it?  As a crutch (for guessing
calls) or a tool (for making sure you have calls correct)?

I prefer to use it as a tool.  If a station calls and it shows up in the
database, I'm about 75% certain, the call is correct.  If there are any
doubts, I'll ask.

On the other hand, if I type in a call that doesn't show up in the
database, that serves as a warning to me, that the call may be
incorrect.  That tells me I'd better make sure it's correct before I log
it.

Either way, one still has to copy the callsigns.  If one chooses to use
the database or not, that's their choice.

I don't have big aluminum, 2 radios, use Internet spotting, run an amp,
etc.  If I can use the database to give me a little advantage (the same
advantage that's available to most everyone who uses computer logging),
I'll use it ... until it's against the rules.

I'm very satisfied to know that my UBN reports are on par with the "big
guns" - even if my scores aren't.

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000