[CQ-Contest] The meaning of words-made easy!

DougKR2Q at aol.com DougKR2Q at aol.com
Wed Nov 15 09:03:05 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/15/00 7:04:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, n5nj at gte.net
writes:

<< ou are calling CQ alone, within the limits of your category, and some
 random guy comes along and answers your CQ.  You cannot control what
 he tells you and in this case it happens to be information you need. >>

The situations is quite simple.  If someone tells you about a mult while you
are CQing or QRZing and you don't act on the information he gave you, you are
not getting assistance.  If you qsy and work it, then you are assisted.

This is my opinion.  To permit the scenario described opens up a real can of
worms...a giant loophole.  Have you buddies listen to packet or a spotting
net.  They then go to "your" frequency and feed you the juicy stuff.
Hey...you aren't asking for it, they are just "being nice."  If you then go
ahead and work those "spots" (even just one), you are (IMHO) assisted.

How about this.  K1AR and W4AN are fighting it out SOAB.  Someone find's John
CQing and says..."Hey John, I just worked a 5T on 24 megs and I convinced him
to qsy now to 28790."  Assuming that AR needs it, he goes there and works it.
 Now, the contest is over.  W4AN and K1AR are in a dead heat...but K1AR is
ahead by one 3 point qso and one mult...the 5T qso.  So was K1AR assisted?
Should he be the winner?  What if W4AN won by 5 mults, all of which were
"random acts of kindness" by other entrants.  Ya see...the frequency (as in
144 vs 21) should not matter.  Help is help.

de Doug KR2Q

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com