[CQ-Contest] Assisted or Not Assisted?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Nov 15 17:26:06 EST 2000

On 11/14/00 7:42 PM, K0HB - Hans at K0HB at USWEST.NET wrote:

>My UBN reports lately suggest that I'm not very good at it,
>but I thought the idea of radiosport (contesting) was to copy the
>exchange off the air, not from some database crib sheet?

Exactly my point. The callsign database cannot replace copying callsigns
off the air. To attempt to do so invites disaster when the log checkers
have at it.

>"Super Check Partial" and other program assistance such as
>fill-in-the-zone in CQWW is still outside assistance.

You can fill in the zone after the contest is over, if you like. (oh no,
not another post-contest editing thread....)

>The
>skilled contester with a "keen memory" *should* have an advantage
>over a lesser skilled or lesser experienced sportsman!  Isn't
>that why we call it a "contest"?

Yup.

--

Here's my point -- the contest database cannot replace copying the
callsign off the air, and therefore is not assistance.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com