[CQ-Contest] CW pitch

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 17:57:18 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/17/2000 3:24:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, kr6x at kr6x.com
writes:

>  Because operators using transceivers
>  often have less control over their transmit offset (vs. their receiver BFO)
>  zero beating another station may be next to impossible.  Practicing low
>  pitch CW reception leads to an effective reduction in receiver bandwidth,
>  primarily on the low beat note side.  Many responding to CQs may be
>  overlooked.  I personally will increase the received note on the second day
>  of a contest like the Sweepstakes to avoid losing these potential contacts.

All you need to do is tweak the RIT by the amount of offset between RX and TX
and you would be tracking.
BTW everybody should know where is the TX offset on his rig. Better rigs
allow to set TX offset to coincide with RX BFO offset.
Actually there is more and more stations zero beating in the contests, making
it hard to separate two signals exactly on the same frequency, it produces
just blur. So some offset is good :-)
If things get slow and pileups thiner, just open up the selectivity to 600 -
1000 Hz or more.

Yuri, K3BU

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com