[CQ-Contest] Packet pile ups - do we need them?

Ken Widelitz widelitz at gte.net
Mon Nov 27 12:16:34 EST 2000

This was my first CQWW Assisted operation. I didn't want to go head to head
with N6RT at W6EEN, cause I just don't have the firepower. However, it will
be my last serious assisted operation. For me, its more fun to find the
mults myself and the packet pile-ups are NOT fun. I also didn't have close
to the rate of previous years.

Now I know why its called "Single OP Distracted. I have a new appreciation
for SOAB(A) ops. I previously had thought is was kind of a "sissy" category.
But to do well in this category requires a great deal of skill and judgment.
After participating in a few packet pile-ups, I waited at least 10 minutes
before checking out the spot.

Now, about the incessant calling - if you can't hear if the DX station came
back to anyone, and other stations are calling, what do you do? If I was
guilty of throwing in my call in hopes of being last, well, the competitive
juices got the best of me.

I know many times the DX station came back to me, but I couldn't hear my
call and just waiting until the DX station gave my call and report again.
This happened with 8P9Z at least 3 times.

The solution? As K4OJ suggested, work split. Now on a crowded band, I know
that isn't a great idea, but it is a solution. Another way to go is to QSY.

73, Ken, K6LA, Ken Six Los Angeles

K6LA at GTEMAIL.NET

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com