[CQ-Contest] PSE QSY to ...

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 10:37:48 EST 2000

Another "fun" thing that is spreading like a West Nile virus:

You tune the band. You find the rare, weak, juicy multiplier calling his
cautious CQ. You aim, get ready and fire out your call in hope of nailing
him.
Radio comes back to you with Mighty-Multi, Packetted, Networked, Club
Assisted, Stacked, Power loaded MM station TELLING the poor multiplier to QSY
to F1 and F2 and F3 frequency "to work us."  (One W7 wants that feature
automated in the TRlog!)
I am sitting there with my water soaked base of a vertical and jaw dropped
down for 5 minutes hoping that poor sucker has some reason to come back to
his old frequency. He didn't. Maybe another MM grabbed him and dragged over
to their frequencies?
Yea, I am sour grapes and a cry baby. But I think we should be sensitive to
changing environment, try to keep some sanity in this last bastion of fun in
ham radio and adapt the rules as we go.
I vote for turning the packet networks off for contests and I vote for
including the rule like: "contacts cannot be solicited by any other means"
(you work what YOU find on the band, what is there, no import/export).
But I guess the days of orchestrated activity, advertised operations with
prizes, automated robots and propagation generators are coming. I am glad I
had my fun old fashion ways. Just like Mario, S56A said: "It's like having a
robot to have sex for you?" :-)
I guess when you can't beat'em, join'em?
Wadda you think?

Yuri,
was vertically from the Cape Hatteras beach as N2EE (/4)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com