[CQ-Contest] Re: packet

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Tue Nov 28 23:53:10 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:53:07PM -0500, CQ Contest Digest wrote:
> >  Paul used a 1 KHz split typically, and that was fine.  In a crowded
> >  contest band, even a few hundred hz will do.
>
> especially "welcome," when you have "your" frequency invaded by "splitters."
> Now lemme see: if all the DX stations operated split the bands would really
> become fun and UBNs would skyrocket.

Actually, I lost a run frequency to something similar.  A DX station was
running simplex about 500Hz down, not a big problem.  Until someone spotted
him.  His pileup mushroomed & spread way out.  You guessed it: I could no
longer hear any of the stations that were calling *me* (there were some).
I'm sure this story isn't unique, but here goes:
Saturday evening, on 10 meters, I hear a station send "5NN 28".
Interesting.  "TU 5NN 3" "QSL 9M6AAC"  "<enormous packet pile of continuous
callers>"

It'll take 2 minutes for the pile to die down enough for me to hear 9M6AAC.
No point.  I tune up the band.  3 S&P QSOs later, I hear it again: "5NN 28".
"TU 5NN 3" "QSL 9M6NA" "<silence>"  Work 'em, first call.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com