[CQ-Contest] 2 radios on one band

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 18:58:08 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/29/2000 5:09:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
NQ4I at compuserve.com writes:

>  Hi all...been getting ready for the arrl 10m test and have moved 2 of my
>  1000mp's and set them up on 10m...antennas are 350 apart...the phase noise
>  from each radio is so bad that it is impossible to have the two radios on
>  the same mode...anyone else out there experience this and have better
>  luck...i am toying with the idea of putting two 930s' on the band
>  instaed...I know they can hack the phase noise...but would really like to
>  use mp's...de Rick

You have to modify the radios (changing varactors in oscillators at least,
more drastic surgery at worst) or get back to good old unsynthesized radios
like Drake line.
I was hit with the same problem before WW CW. Wanted to use two IC781s only
to find when I pressed PTT, without any signal, that I got about S4 hash on
the other radio. There is modification by Signal One to IC781, changing all
varactors in oscillators and that apparently helps to get rid of the hash. I
suspect other "modern" radios would be the same. I am going to have look at
few radios do some tests and see which one is the least offender. Just
finished and tested switchbox for two radios on the same band, only to find
out about hash from synthesizers. Still have the Drakes, it is good enough
for CQing radio.

GL  Yuri, K3BU

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com