[CQ-Contest] My experience with "Packet Pileups"

Chris Hurlbut wl7ky at gci.net
Wed Nov 29 20:55:56 EST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0191_01C05A46.C55B9D20

Hi All,
I've been reading the recent thread on the packet pileup problem.  I =
think my views are somewhat varied from others.  Whenever I got spotted =
back in KL7, my rates ALWAYS went up.  I did CQWW in the lower 48 for =
the first time last weekend, and I noticed those packet piles on many =
carib stations.  I was not assisted, but I would hear them.  While =
calling a mult, all of a sudden about 10 new guys would come out of =
nowhere.  It didn't take me any longer to break pileups.  Maybe I was =
loud, I don't know.  The 'packet callers' tended to not listen at first, =
and this probably helped.  I think the only time the packet pileup was a =
problem was when the DX op was not a 40wpm cw op.  Twenty stations =
calling at high speed for a slow CW op makes it that much easier for me =
to turn the keyer down and work the DX before everyone else. :)  I guess =
I didn't really find the packet pileups to be a problem.  Just my =
observations.
What I DID find was a problem, was the large amount of dx that did NOT =
send their calls.  Sometimes for 10 or more qso's.  Sometimes they would =
even send ? or QRZ? many times with no callers, and still never ID.  Not =
only did their rate go down, but so did mine.  Please folks, try to ID a =
little more. :)
Congrats to all the huge scores this time! =20
Also, if you worked N7IP in the contest and would like an audio clip of =
your qso, email me!  (No I am not going to listen to the whole thing and =
'double check' for errors.)
-Chris KL9A (ex WL7KY)
kl9a at qsl.net
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a=20